Indian Cooking with Philipiak Milano Cookware
Philipiak Milano was honored to share our cookware at the New Jersey India Fair this past weekend. We enjoyed sharing some healthy Indian dishes made without oil, and judging by the people that kept coming back for more, the dishes were a hit!
We are delighted to share these delicious Indian recipes with you. They are healthy versions of traditional Indian dishes.
Pakoras are typically a deep-fried Indian snack food. This healthy vegetarian version is made with paneer (a mild Indian cheese) and potato, and cooked over the lowest heat in our oval roaster on the stovetop. They’re delicious!
- 16 oz paneer
- 1 white potato
- 2 green chilis (small, hot), chopped
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 small clove garlic, grated
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- Peel and cube potato. Place potato cubes in steamer set over 1/2 cup water, and steam until soft. Set aside to cool.
- In large bowl, crumble paneer.
- To paneer, add chopped green chilis, chopped cilantro leaves, grated fresh ginger, grated garlic clove and cornstarch.
- Once potato is cool enough to handle, cut into small chunks and add to paneer mixture.
- Mix paneer mixture thoroughly with your hand or a mixer until you have a fairly smooth consistency.
- Add salt to taste and mix again.
- Shape small golf ball size handfuls into patties. Be sure to squeeze the handfuls so the mixture stays together.
- Preheat Philipiak Milano oval roaster over low heat.
- Cook the pakoras over very low heat, turning often, until golden brown (about 20 minutes).
- Serve alone, or with sauces/chutneys as desired.
Paneer with Peas
This tasty, warming vegetarian dish is delicious served over basmati rice or with roti. Our healthy version is made without the need for additional oil.
- 20 oz paneer
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 heaping tsp cumin seeds
- 1 heaping tsp black mustard seeds
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 heaping tsp garam masala
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 20 oz canned crushed tomatoes (from 28 oz can)
- 1 cup peas
- ½ can coconut milk
- Chopped cilantro
- Cut paneer into slices.
- Preheat Philipiak Milano Oval Roaster, Large Pot or Small Frying Pan over low heat.
- Pan fry paneer until golden brown on each side. Set aside.
- In Large Pot over low heat, saute onions with cumin seeds and black mustard seeds until onion is soft, stirring occasionally. There is no need to add oil to the pot.
- Add chopped garlic, garam masala, chili powder and turmeric, and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, peas, coconut milk, and cilantro, and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Cut browned paneer into cubes and stir into tomato mixture. Let stand for a few minutes.
- Serve over rice or with roti.